Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Group Discussion Post #2

     Today in class, my teacher decided to have another one of those breakout room sessions (since we are virtually learning) where she splits the entire class into groups of 5 or 6 students and then lets us discuss with each other the progress we have done concerning our Cambridge projects. These discussions are useful since we can obtain new information on how and when to use certain film techniques in our opening, as well as allow us to explain any problems we are experiencing so that someone can provide a solution.

     One of the members in my group was doing a horror like me (!), but in the perspective of the killer. It would start with them buying something at a 7-Eleven and they would pick up a newspaper where there is a headline about a killer on the loose. The whole time, the face of the person is never shown, with POV and over the shoulder shots being used to conceal their face. I really liked the idea they had in mind, as it was different from the usual horror film where we watch from the victim's perspective. A lot of the shots they planned on using sounded like I could incorporate it as well, such as having a prop cover up the killer. In my case, I could have a tree partially cover the Rubberneck when the two characters first notice him hiding.

     Another person was doing a drama about a couple of high school friends who were struggling internally about what to do with themselves in the future. What I really liked about their idea was that they were able to adapt to the obstacles thrown at them. Originally, they planned on having a scene take place at the my school's auditorium, but they were not allowed to. So, they decided to have the scene take place online, in the form of a Microsoft Teams meeting. I personally think the online route was better anyways, considering the current state of the situation we are all in. Them having to ask the school for permission to use the auditorium reminded me that I probably have to ask around to see if I can use a location I have in mind. If I'm not allowed to, then I will have to search elsewhere.

     Furthermore, another student was planning on doing a drama about a student struggling from mental abuse at home. They planned on having using juxtaposition to show the differences in her life at home and at school. I really liked this idea, and I feel like I can also incorporate this into my opening. I could use it at the end of my opening when the Rubberneck manages to snatch one of the actors, there will be a shot showing the horror of one person as they are being taken away, while a cut to the other person will show them happy that they made it out alive.

    One student decided to make a drama/coming-of-age story about a deaf girl who plays the piano and meets another girl, who begins learning sign language after finding out the other one can not hear. The plot for the student's film was very interesting in my opinion because it reminded me of movies I have seen, such as A Silent Voice

    Lastly, someone opted for a comedy about two girls who wake up after a house party and have no recollection of the events that occurred, only knowing that there parents are on there way back, unaware that their house is trashed. I rally like this idea because of the potential it has, as well as the fact that I have a soft spot for comedies. 

    One concern that I had with my project was the audio. I did not have any idea on how to properly get the audience to hear what the two characters would be saying to each other at the beginning. At first, I was thinking about using either AirPods because I have a pair, or go to Walmart and buy one of the cheap small ones they offer. However, someone had a really good idea of what to do in order to record audio. They would have the characters wear earphones that would blend into their fashion. For me, I could have my characters have earphones around their necks and see if the audio can be recorded well enough for the audience to understand it. This way, I can get my dialogue without having to buy a mic while still making it look like a fashion choice. Teens my age are really into music, listening to it everywhere they go. So, having earphones around the neck will not look weird at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project for Cambridge - Horror Film Opening

       Here it is. After I'm done posting this, all I can do now is wait and hope I get a good grade. Thank you for watching this journe...