Sunday, March 28, 2021

Certain Changes to My Film

    Before I finish editing my film together, I need to address some overall changes that are occurring in my project and in the editing process. While the changes made were not necessary, I personally believe that the changes I decided to make are better than what was originally intended and will help me earn a better grade.

    One of the changes made was how some of the shots were made. Originally I had not thought of these two angles to produce, but my friends suggested it and when we filmed it, it turned out better than I had expected so I'm adding it into the final edit. For example, after the two men begin running from the Rubberneck, I took shots of simply their feet as they run and then the Rubberneck's shortly afterward, to convey the idea that they are being chased. We did not really know how to properly get a good chase scene with the people jumping over bushes, etc. so we thought this was a good compromise. Furthermore, there was a small puddle which would reflect ourselves when we stood near it because of the intense sunlight. That caused us to film a suspenseful and brilliant (in my opinion) scene where the Rubberneck attacks one of the characters, but it is only shown through the reflection of the puddle, leaving the audience wondering who died. This leads to another change that definitely needs to be discussed, which is what happened to the two characters in my story? It is not revealed who dies. At first, I planned to kill either the Nerd or the Jock, but I thought it might be better if it never is revealed and the audience has to wonder who passed, if both of them passed, or if they even died. I think this would help them stay rooted to their seats and watch the rest of the story, hoping it is revealed later on in the film of who died. 

    Another change I made was the editing software I was using. OpenShot was honestly to basic and did not have a lot of the features I needed to make this work. I would look for something basic to use, but it would not have that effect. So, I asked a couple of friends what software they are using and one of them suggested I use ShotCut, so I got it. I had to transfer all the editing I had done to the other application, but I think I managed to do it and it'll allow me to have a better edited film.


    Another change I made was to the introduction to my opening. When I filmed with my friends, I made sure to take a couple of shots of the scenery to provide establishing shots of the peaceful environments. It would also be around this part that I would quickly add the credits so that the audience does not have to see the names as important stuff is occurring. However, viewing the shots I took left me unsatisfied. They were small clips and I feel like they would abruptly change if were to put them together in the video. In my opinion, it felt like the audience was teleporting around the environment, making it feel weird. As a result, I returned to where we had filmed and took some shots by myself. Not going to lie, I felt pretty lonely since it was just me in that place but I think I got some good pieces. I made long continuous scenes because it'll give me time to put the credits there, and it will help the audience see the location and have a better grasp of it. Furthermore, now that it is one long tracking shot, the audience will feel like they are physically walking there and are about to be attacked, which is what I was going for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project for Cambridge - Horror Film Opening

       Here it is. After I'm done posting this, all I can do now is wait and hope I get a good grade. Thank you for watching this journe...