Monday, February 22, 2021

Outline for My Film Project

    For my film project, I decided on my film opening being outside in a heavily forested or simply far away from buildings, infrastructure, etc. Because I live in Florida, finding a place like this is fairly easy. I could either film close to my neighborhood or go to a nearby park, so I will drive around those areas until I find a spot that looks really good on camera.

    I want my film to be introduced with a fast paced running-through-the-forest sequence followed by a slow scene where the character is taken out by the villain. Also, I want there to be 2 characters that are trying to run away from the antagonist. Throughout the opening, the scenes will transition between the location of both characters running in opposite directions, with another transition showing the villain chase after someone. This will be done so that the audience has no clue who is actually being chased until towards the end of the opening. So, as the scenes continuously change, they become slower and more silent as the character is trying to be quiet in the hopes that the pursuer does not find them. At the end, both characters will hear a loud rustle from a bush or a snap from a twig on the floor. Both frantically turn at the area where the sound was heard, only for one of them to be relieved when a small animal such as a lizard scurries out from the place. The audience will quickly be hit with a jump scare when the character who was not greeted by the animal gets attacked the villain, while a scene change shows the other person finally escaping the forested area and runs out onto the streets. The video below is a good example of a chase I would like to replicate. The dutch angle makes the shots look more chaotic and suspenseful, adding to the horror feel the movie creates.

    


Dead Wood (2007)

    However, something that was pointed out to me by my teacher has made me realize that I need to think more about what to incorporate into the opening. Simply begin the film with the two characters would be cheesy; it has to have some sort of context so that the chase sequences mean something; otherwise, it would be pointless to the audience and they would have no idea what to think about. As a result, I was thinking I could start the film with the two characters arguing with each other for getting themselves lost in the forest while on their way to a party at a camp. As they argue they would be greeted by the villain, who they spot staring at them a good distance a way with a mask covering their face. They ask if there is a problem and the masked figure responds by silently walking towards them, picking up pace and revealing a knife or a gun. At this point, both characters figure it is every man for himself and they run away in different directions, commencing the chase sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project for Cambridge - Horror Film Opening

       Here it is. After I'm done posting this, all I can do now is wait and hope I get a good grade. Thank you for watching this journe...