Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Creating the Characters That Will Star in my Opening

    Now that I have the basic idea of what my opening is going to be like, I need to create a background for the three characters that will appear in the film. One of them, of course, will be the villain who chases the two other characters throughout the forest. The two characters will be dressed so that the audience can distinguish them as being The Jock and The Nerd. While I still do not fully know where would be the perfect place to film, I am going to go on Google Maps to see if I can find any locations near me that would be an ideal environment for the story. 

Villain/Killer: The Rubberneck

    For the villain, I decided to give them that name because the term "rubberneck" is defined as staring at something or someone in a comical manner. So, there will be a famous rumor within the story of the film that talks about a masked person who awkwardly stares at their next victims from a distance. When The Jock and The Nerd see the masked figure tilt his head in a childish fashion, they will recognize the situation they are in and run, which will introduce the background of the movie to the audience. In terms of the costume, I went around my house looking for something that the killer could wear. I found a creepy skull mask that would definitely scare me if I was wandering in a forested area and saw someone staring at me with it. I also created this all-black getup that would make the villain practically invisible at night, which would make it obvious that I should film at night. Unfortunately, due to certain events, my parents have not been allowing me to be out when it starts to get dark for my high school years, so it will prove rather difficult to film under the desired conditions. As such, I will most likely film during the day, but as of now it is still undecided.



    The thing I like most about the Rubberneck would be his choice of weapon: a utility knife with two sharp edges instead of one and with small razor edges along the side. I did not want to go with the classic kitchen knife that slashers such as Michael Myers or Ghostface, but at the same time I wanted to stick to those roots. I thought the utility knife was a perfect fit, and the design was unique enough that the audience would definitely connect my slasher with that specific knife for years to come.




Ryan (The Jock)

    The Jock known in the film as Ryan will be a good-looking guy with a decent build. In the beginning of the opening where he is conversing with The Nerd, he will be talking in a condescending tone and make the audience sympathize with the other actor. His constant bickering with the other archetype is common since The Jock and The Nerd do not mix well at all. If the audience does not connect Ryan as being a jock, his choice to wear a jersey of his favorite team will support the idea that he is also into sports. Furthermore, he will be wearing dog tags, which is connected to the Marines, which also correlates to staying in shape and being active.



Gordon (The Nerd)

    Gordon, AKA The Nerd in my film, will be a small guy (compared to Ryan) wearing glasses. He and Ryan will be arguing with each other when the scene begins, and it will show Gordon as an outcast and introverted. He does not directly look at Ryan while talking, showing he is not confident in what he is saying. Furthermore, at the end of their argument, Gordon will be shoved on the floor and get dirt on himself, representing his weaker social status to someone such as The Jock. While I do not have an idea of what clothes he will wear, I found some sneakers that were old and were originally hand-me-downs. The Nerd typically either has no fashion sense or does not care about their image, so I thought it would go well with the archetype.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project for Cambridge - Horror Film Opening

       Here it is. After I'm done posting this, all I can do now is wait and hope I get a good grade. Thank you for watching this journe...