Sunday, February 14, 2021

AICE Media Final Project Genre Discussion

 After much debate between myself on what genre my project should be, I finally settled on producing an opening for a horror film. A horror is supposed to strike fear and suspense into the audience, and I feel like I have the necessary tools at my disposable to make my audience get that feeling. However, I should also focus on creating something enjoyable and original so that it sticks out from all the other horror film openings. I either need to make an opening that follows the usual ingredients for a horror film opening but be the best at it, or create something completely new within the category that would earn me a good score on the final exam. 

One of the main reasons why I decided to choose horror for my genre was because of the current global situation and location. With COVID-19 plaguing the 2020-2021 school year, it has been and will be extremely difficult gathering people to help me in my projects. So, putting that into consideration, I figured a horror film would work best because not many people are required to make one; usually, a horror film opens up with someone being chased by another person or thing to introduce the audience to the main conflict. For my opening, I am planning on simply having someone be chased through a dark environment by a masked figure holding a knife or handgun. This means that I only need to have around 2 people help me film my opening, which is definitely workable. Furthermore, I want the location to consist mostly of trees and grass so that the audience feels like they are in the middle of nowhere in a forest. This is perfect because I live in an area where there is quite a bit of nature everywhere, and if I can not film in my neighborhood for whatever reason, I have already thought up of other places I can shoot my opening.

The only issue that I see becoming a problem later on if not addressed soon is the lighting. I want to film at night because the pitch-black setting would give viewers a sense of fear and suspense. Not being able to see anything would use the common motif of something lurking in the dark, which is what I want to evoke from my audience. However, I have to have some sort of lighting while filming so that the audience can still see the what is happening in the film or else they will just seeing nothing, which I can only assume is not entertaining. As such, I need to conduct research on easy methods that people in the horror industry use to produce good lighting within a film piece, and hopefully replicate it successfully in my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project for Cambridge - Horror Film Opening

       Here it is. After I'm done posting this, all I can do now is wait and hope I get a good grade. Thank you for watching this journe...